The Bad Elf Flex firmware can be updated using a USB drive connected to the Bad Elf Flex using the supplied USB-OTG adapter.
- Download the latest public firmware version (see table below) to your PC or Mac.
- Copy the file to any FAT-formatted USB drive, and cleanly unmount/eject the USB drive from your computer.
- Turn your Bad Elf Flex unit ON by holding the power button for 3-4 seconds, and wait until you see the main LCD screen (~30 seconds).
- Plug the USB drive into the supplied USB-OTG adapter cable.
- Plug the USB-OTG cable into the Mini-USB port on the back of your Bad Elf Flex.
- The left LED should illuminate with a purple status indication, indicating the OTG cable was detected.
- The LCD screen will display a message indicating the USB Drive was detected.
- Within a few seconds the Flex will start the update process. You will usually see the all the LEDs turn purple during the update, and the screen will display a "Shutting down..." or "Updating firmware..." message. Be patient, this can take 1-5 minutes depending on the state of your Flex.
- When finished, you will hear 2 beeps, and the new firmware will automatically start.
- You can check the new firmware version by navigating to Settings > Flex Info.
- You can safely disconnect the USB drive and USB-OTG adapter cable from the back of your Bad Elf Flex.
Need orthometric height models for your region?
Visit our Orthometric Height / GEOIDs page. These packages can be copied to the USB drive along with the firmware update in step 2 above.
Public Firmware Releases
Beta (Pre-Release) Firmware Releases
NOTE: beta firmware should only be used by customers in our beta release program, and requires access to a matching iOS or Android beta app for full functionality.