|Ready to upgrade your Flex to the NOV-2022 release? Just follow these steps:|
- Upgrade the Bad Elf Flex app on your phone/tablet to version 1.2.1 or newer
- Download the latest firmware version from the table below, and upgrade your Flex using the USB drive.
The Bad Elf Flex firmware can be updated using a USB drive connected to the Bad Elf Flex using the supplied USB-OTG adapter.
- Download the latest public firmware version (see table below) to your PC or Mac.
- Copy the file to any FAT-formatted USB drive, and cleanly unmount/eject the USB drive from your computer.
- Turn your Bad Elf Flex unit ON by holding the power button for 3-4 seconds, and wait until you see the main LCD screen (~30 seconds).
- Plug the USB drive into the supplied USB-OTG adapter cable.
- Plug the USB-OTG cable into the Mini-USB port on the back of your Bad Elf Flex.
- The left LED should light up purple, indicating the OTG cable was detected.
- The LCD screen will display a message indicating the USB Drive was detected.
- Within a few seconds, the Flex will start the update process. You will usually see the all the LEDs turn purple during the update, and the screen will display a "Shutting down..." or "Updating firmware..." message. Be patient, this can take 1-5 minutes depending on the state of your Flex.
- When finished, you will hear 2 beeps, and the new firmware will automatically start.
- You can check the new firmware version by navigating to Settings > Flex Info.
- You can safely disconnect the USB drive and USB-OTG adapter cable from the back of your Bad Elf Flex.
Need orthometric height models for your region?
Visit our Orthometric Height / GEOIDs page. These packages can be copied to the USB drive along with the firmware update in step 2 above.
Public Firmware Releases
- Added support for log transfers via Bluetooth.
- Added support for future firmware updates over Bluetooth.
- Added "Ortho Everywhere" features:
- Configurable boot-up alerts for pole-height and 3rd party antenna height configuration.
- Extend ortho height values to all 3rd party apps using NMEA stream via Bluetooth or USB.
- Optional use of the standard NMEA GGA.STATION_ID field to encode datum and orthometric height metadata.
- Inclusion of datum and GEOID model metadata in CSV log files and shared with 3rd party app workflows.
- Added support for world-wide high resolution EGM2008 (1-degree) GEOID model. Requires additional support files found here.
- Added configuration for Point One Navigation corrections to be provided in ITRF2014 (new) or NAD83 (default) output datum.
- Added base/rover alerts for lost communications, base tilt detection, etc.
- Added setting to auto-start track logging on boot and anytime a new project is created.
- Added pole height editor via Settings > GNSS screen.
- Updated UI to display/alert user of license and subscription expirations and monthly/yearly Atlas subscriptions.
- Improved clearing of FLT/FIXED solution within 6 secs of switching out of RTK mode
- Fixed numerous bugs related to Bluetooth and NTRIP connectivity, log viewing, etc.
NOTE: This firmware release requires Flex app version 1.2.1 or newer to be installed on your iOS or Android device.
- Added Flex setting to enable $PSAT via Bluetooth.
- Fixed bug causing extra columns to appear in track and point CSV log files.
- Fixed Bluetooth bug affecting UHF radio connections.
- Added base/rover support
- Added UHF radio support via USB and Bluetooth
- Improved Bluetooth screens (adding/unpairing/disconnecting)
- Fixed bug causing app to restart on shutdown
- Optimized UI when running in dark mode
- Added support to NTRIP client for raw TCP connections
- Several fixes for BT connectivity issues with iOS devices
- Fixed bug causing custom project names to be reset to default timestamp
- Added NMEA streaming to PC or Mac via standard USB cables
- Added NMEA streaming to Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) head units via FTDI-based USB-RS232 cable
- Added bridge support for LaserTech laser rangefinders for offset measurements
- Added magnetic declination support based on current position (overridable)
- Added EPSG code suffix to horizontal datum metadata
- Added support for Point One Navigation RTK corrections service
- Added GEOID99 support
- Added CSV logging of NTRIP mount point and datum information
- Added streaming of notifications to the Bad Elf Flex utility app
- Bluetooth connectivity and reconnect fixes
- Supports new GEOID models: AUS/NZ, UK/IR/NIR, Brazil, and Caribbean
- Added CSV logging of MEMS accelerometer data
- RTK baseline field now respects distance units
- Added support for 2-20Hz track logging (requires additional license activation)
- Added support for reduced track logging rates (every 2-60 sec)
- Major improvements to Bluetooth connectivity and reconnect logic.
- Added support for US and Canadian GEOID orthometric height models.
- Added support for pole height offset in elevation values shown on LCD, streamed to Flex app, and stored in logs.
- Point and track logs now include NTRIP connection details, orthometric height fields, pole height, and datum in use (when available).
- Speed values are in logs are now correctly labelled as km/h (not m/s).
- Added support for RINEX 2.11 and 1-30 second decimations
- Added support for raw message streaming to 3rd party apps via SDK
- Added option for clearing Bluetooth pairings via LCD
- Added option to delete log projects (all or individually)
- Fixed bug affecting charging via USB while Flex is OFF.
- Improved Bluetooth connectivity
- First release shipped with production Flex hardware
Beta (Pre-Release) Firmware Releases
NOTE: beta firmware should only be used by customers in our beta release program, and may require access to our matching iOS or Android beta app for full functionality.
NOTE: if you need to downgrade your Flex to an older firmware release, please contact our support team.