For most users, we recommend using the Bad Elf GPS App as the method of updating the firmware on your Bad Elf GNSS Surveyor. There are a number of additional safety measures built into the process found in our app to ensure success. This method of updating requires the use of a Mac or PC.
First, download this file: https://epo.bad-elf.com/fw/dfu/BEGPS-3300-v2.1.60.dfu.bin
- Rename the downloaded file from BEGPS-3300-v2.1.60.dfu.bin to firmware.bin
- With the power OFF on the Bad Elf GNSS Surveyor, connect the Elf to your Mac or PC with the supplied USB Cable.
- You will be prompted to Tap the GPS (bottom) button to enter USB Drive mode.
- After tapping the bottom button give the process a minute for the Elf to appear as a Drive in Finder or Explorer.
- Once you are able to access the Elf as a Drive, copy the renamed file firmware.bin to the root directory of the Bad Elf GPS GNSS Surveyor.
- When the transfer of firmware.bin to the Bad Elf GPS GNSS Surveyor is complete. Unplug the USB from the back of the GNSS Surveyor to exit USB Drive mode.
- Now plug the USB back in and tap the bottom button to enter USB Drive mode.
- Upon entering USB Drive mode on this subsequent attempt, you should see small text on the screen that a firmware file was found.
- As soon as the firmware file is unpacked you will be prompted in large text to Press Power Button to Finish Firmware Update.
- Press the power button and the process will shortly be finalized, the Elf will power down and then power back up.
- The firmware version running on the Elf can be found on the startup screen in the text to the right.